A Crack in the Slab is the seventh mission in Dishonored 2, in which either Corvo Attano or Emily Kaldwin must navigate through Aramis Stilton's manor where reality has been distorted, and discover Delilah Copperspoon's secrets from an event three years in the past.
A strange ritual was performed three years ago in Aramis Stilton's Manor, involving Delilah Copperspoon and her followers. Once inside, find out what you can about Delilah's secrets.
DetailsThe manor Corvo or Emily must explore has been sealed for three years after an occult event and now lies in ruin. Their powers will not work inside, and the Outsider appears at the beginning of the mission to give them the Timepiece. This artifact can show the manor's past timeline, and allows them to shift between the ruined present and the lavish past, where guards are still protecting this refined place.
- Under the Table - Lifted Aramis Stilton's Master Key while hiding under the dining table.
- Temporal Investigator - Reached the Study without the door code.
- A Mind Made Whole - Saved Aramis Stilton from seeing beyond the world.
- Leaky Basement - Found the Rune in the flooded basement.
- Collapsed Balcony - Manipulate time to collapse the balcony.
- A Better Today - Visited Aramis Stilton's office in the altered present.
- The achievements Under the Table, Flooded Basement and Dilapidation are all earned during this mission.
- These achievements are the same as the special actions Under the Table, Leaky Basement and Collapsed Balcony, respectively.
- The time travel aspect of A Crack in the Slab originates from the level Outer Persephone of BioShock 2, a game Arkane Studios worked on. A few scripted events allow the protagonist to instantly jump from a lavish section of the level to a terrifying-looking version of it while remaining on the same map. This inspired Christophe Carrier to make a level where the player could control time travel and explore the same map in different eras. He realized that this was the perfect game mechanism to show to the players the ritual that brought Delilah back into the world.
- This mission is actually three maps, piled on top of each other, and the two alternate present (Stilton didn't assist the ritual) are the same map with minor changes. The Timepiece offsets the protagonist's position between two of these maps. If Stilton is either killed or knocked out, the Timepiece instead shifts them to a different "layer", appearing as a different version of the map. The trick to switch one present for another uses the same system as Chaos to determine if the player didn't interact with Stilton in the past.
- Designing the time travel puzzles in the mission was hard for the developers, who wanted puzzles hard enough to challenge the players but easy enough so the players would not go online to find the solution.
- Originally, the developers planned to remove most of the protagonist's powers but leave Blink and Far Reach. This was later changed to leaving only the passive abilities active as the time travel mechanic was deemed to be interesting enough.
- The map of the Dust District, when exiting the manor and only if Stilton was saved from the ritual, contains a set of street signs for "Legal District" and "Docks". Those signs are reused from Dishonored and were also present in a pre-release version of the map for the Dust District mission.