|Nation of Origin||Tyvia|
Anton Sokolov's Safehouse
The Hound Pits Pub
Head of the Academy of Natural Philosophy
- "I had a flask in my studio. Had I known I'd be leaving I would have grabbed it."
- ―Anton Sokolov
Anton Sokolov is the Head of the Academy of Natural Philosophy and Royal Physician to the Empress and then the Lord Regent. In addition to being a highly prized painter, he is a prolific inventor and is the primary source of Dunwall's militarized technology encountered throughout Dishonored. He also created Sokolov's Elixir, which restores health and staves off the dangerous effects of the rat plague.
An immigrant from the nation of Tyvia, Sokolov established himself as a painter and sculptor to the aristocracy of Dunwall at an early age: Vera Moray claims that he painted her portrait when he was "just barely a man, so young," and that he was already "painting all the best people across the land." It became fashionable for members of the aristocracy to pay exorbitant amounts of coin to have their portrait painted by him; Sokolov continued to deliver, despite his contempt for them.
Sokolov thereafter began to establish himself as a master of many disciplines; by the beginning of Dishonored, he is a widely-known painter, sculptor, scientist (with specialties in vivisection and cosmology), inventor, writer, world traveler, and philosopher. Deemed a flatterer by some, he rose through the ranks to become the Head of the Academy of Natural Philosophy and Royal Physician to the Kaldwins. In addition, following the discovery of the potential of whale oil as an energy source, Sokolov partnered with Esmond Roseburrow to create new technical marvels, acting as a key player in Dunwall's industrial revolution.
In the interceding years, Sokolov waged an intense rivalry with Piero Joplin, going so far as to get Piero removed from the Academy. He also took on Delilah Copperspoon, a baker in Dunwall Tower, as his apprentice. Little is known about their relationship, and Delilah abandoned the position prior to the events of Dishonored.
Sokolov maintained a longer-lasting relationship with Jessamine Kaldwin, whom he admired despite his aversion to the aristocracy. Jessamine was greatly influenced by Sokolov, according to the Heart, and allowed him a great degree of social freedom under her rule.
In his spare time, Sokolov is a drunkard and womanizer, and wishful practitioner of black magic. He is obsessed with the Outsider, so much so that he attempts rituals and sacrifices in order to summon him, but to no avail; the Outsider does not find him "interesting enough" to be worth meeting.
- "My time is greatly in demand, I assure you. The work is constant, lecturing at the Academy, painting portraits of the gentry, or supervising the installation of a new security system somewhere in the city. So if I spend a night or two at my home on Kaldwin's Bridge, pursuing my own pleasures, you'll have to forgive me. Or don't. It matters nothing to me."
- ―Royal Physician Anton Sokolov, Academy of Natural Philosophy
Following the assassination of the Empress, Sokolov retains his position as Royal Physician under Hiram Burrows, who commissions him to create weaponry for the purposes of social control, such as the Arc Pylon, the Wall of Light, and the Arc Mine. He also continues research on a cure for the rat plague derived from his health elixir. With little consideration for ethics, he intentionally infects healthy citizens to research the plague; one of them can be found imprisoned in his greenhouse, along with an audiograph containing his observations in regard to her.
Sokolov is kept under close observation by Burrows, due to his critical scientific work and strategic value. Nevertheless, by the order of Farley Havelock, Corvo abducts Sokolov from his safehouse on Kaldwin's Bridge for interrogation at the Hound Pits Pub on the identity of Burrows' mistress.
Following his confession, he is kept in the kennels at the Hound Pits Pub. Later events lead Sokolov and Piero to reconcile their differences, with Piero noting that "it's refreshing to converse with someone on my own level," and Sokolov conceding that, "[Piero's] expulsion from the Academy was a crime against natural philosophy itself."
- Sokolov is voiced by Roger L. Jackson.
- Anton Sokolov's name is a nod to Viktor Antonov, visual design director of Dishonored.
- Several of Sokolov's paintings can be found in Dishonored and are among the most important items for which to search. Every painting is worth three hundred coins; furthermore, the game counts "Sokolov Paintings Found" as a separate point at the end of each mission. It is therefore recommended that the paintings be obtained for the sake of completion, as well as for bonus cash.
- Sokolov may be modeled after Grigori Rasputin, the Russian mystic (and notoriously debauched party animal) who was hired to heal Tsar Nicholas II's son of hemophilia. However, his genius mind, inventiveness and mastery of painting are reminiscent of the renowned Renaissance polymath Leonardo da Vinci.
- He is fond of King Street Brandy, an expensive liquor containing a drop of whale oil, which Piero describes as "revolting." Corvo can bribe Sokolov with a bottle to give up information on Lady Boyle.
- It is mentioned by Lord Pendleton that Sokolov was never that fond of the Lord Regent, and suspected that Burrows was the "source of their trouble." This is later confirmed by Sokolov himself.
- It is revealed in The Knife of Dunwall that Sokolov did consultation work for Bundry Rothwild in exchange for access to the whales at the slaughterhouse, which acted as excellent vivisection subjects.
- Doctor Galvani greatly admires Sokolov, claiming in his journal that the day he met Anton Sokolov was the most important day of his life.
- He is the only target whose survival is mandatory.
- ↑ Developer Commentary - Dishonored ages masterpost
- ↑ Factory Management In Our Times
- ↑ The Journal of Granny Rags
- ↑ The Brigmore Witches (Note)
- ↑ Anton Sokolov's Lab Journal
- ↑ The Hungry Cosmos
- ↑ Anton Sokolov: Authored Pieces
- ↑ Travel to Pandyssia
- ↑ "The city owes much to this great mind. Let him drink and find company where he can."
- ↑ "...if he really wants to meet me, he could start by being a bit more interesting."
- ↑ Dishonored Game Manual
Characters in Dishonored
Doctor Galvani • Mad Survivor • Bunting • Pratchett • Test Subject 312 • Lord Shaw • Ramsey • Miss White • Lord Brisby • Alfa • Blake • Mace Brimsley • Propaganda Officer • Alec • Mattie • General Tobias • Captain Ren • Watch Officer Thorpe • Jane Blair • Ella Triss • Byron Alderdice • Overseer Sturgess • Overseer Jasper • Overseer Franklin • Ms. Benton • Berthold • Elsa • Crowley• Hackworth