Whalebone Charms (or simply Bone Charms), are mystical objects created from the bones of whales, each with a unique effect on the users constitution and abilities. Corvo Attano can discover these trinkets throughout Dunwall, and use them to compliment his mission strategies.
In the days before the Empire, ownership of bone charms (including those made from the tusks of walruses in Tyvia) was tolerated, as their effects were said to improve the lives of lowly serfs. However, with the coming of the industrial revolution arising from Esmond Roseburrow's research on whale oil, the Abbey of the Everyman banned the use of bone charms, dubbing them witchery. Retaining bone charms is now considered a criminal offense, and there is a workshop at the Office of the High Overseer strictly dedicated to the destruction of bone charms.
When they are equipped, bone charms provide a variety of enhancements, such as improving the effects of elixirs and remedies, swimming speed, jumping ability, and strengthening Corvo's supernatural powers.
Charms spawn randomly. They are chosen when the level is loaded, so reloading right before obtaining one will always yield the same charm. Notable exception to this include:
- The charm stuck in the vice (in the Backyard). Saving before collecting the charm will allow one to reset until the desired charm is spawned; this effect is very useful when attempting a ghost/low chaos/clean hands playthrough, as the Strong Arms charm is a tremendous help.
- The charm Corvo gets from Daud in The Flooded District, either through pick-pocketing him or by defeating him and looting his body. It is much harder to pickpocket it undetected, but it is easier to manage with Bend Time Level II and Blink.
Charms and EffectsEdit
- Acrobat - Slightly faster climbing.
- Albinos - Increased chance of white rats.
- Blood Ox Heart - 20% increase to maximum mana.
- Carrion Killer - Killing rats grants some adrenaline.
- Clockwork Malfunction - Enemy grenades take slightly more time to explode.
- Falling Star - Drop assassinating recharges mana by 20%.
- Fleet Fighter - Drawn weapons do not slow movement speed.
- Golden Touch - Slight increase to value of precious items.
- Healthy Appetite I - Food heals slightly more.
- Healthy Appetite II - Food heals moderately more.
- Plague Affinity - Damage by weepers grants a small amount of mana.
- Plague Resistant - Weepers inflict slightly less damage.
- Rat Scent - Rats attack only when approached in close proximity.
- Reinforced Bolts - Bolts stuck in enemies break less often.
- Robust I - Potions grant 5% more health.
- Robust II - Potions grant 10% more health.
- Scavenger - Greater amounts of ammo on discovery.
- Spirited I - Potions grant 5% more mana.
- Spirited II - Potions grant 10% more mana.
- Spiritual Pool - Slightly faster mana regeneration.
- Spirit Water - Drinking from faucets recharges mana by 20%.
- Strong Arms - Faster choking speed.
- Sustained Rage - Adrenaline takes slightly longer to cool down.
- Swift Shadow - Increased movement speed in stealth mode.
- Throwing Hand - Thrown objects travel slightly farther.
- Tough Skin - 15% increase to maximum health.
- Twist of Fortune I - Very rarely, using a potion grants full mana.
- Twist of Fortune II - Sometimes, using a potion grants full mana.
- Undertaker - Increased movement speed while carrying a corpse.
- Unnerving Target I - Enemies have a slight chance to miss with guns.
- Unnerving Target II - Enemies have a moderate chance to miss with guns.
- Vengeance - Being damaged grants a small amount of adrenaline.
- Water of Life - Drinking from fountains grants 7.5% health.
- Welcoming Host - Possession lasts 30 seconds on white rats (normally 20).
- Whirlwind I - Swing speed for swords is slightly faster.
- Whirlwind II - Swing speed for swords is moderately faster.
DLC charms and effectsEdit
They appear in Corvo's room in the The Hound Pits after first meeting the Outsider.
- Acrobatic Killer: Raven - Drop assassinating grants health.
- Acrobatic Killer: River Affinity - Increased swimming speed.
- Acrobatic Killer: Quick Dodge - Ability to dodge bolts/arrows.
- Arcane Assassin: Gutter Feast - Eating white rats restores 5% mana.
- Arcane Assassin: Void Channel - 20% increased duration for powers, increased range for Blink and Windblast.
- Arcane Assassin: White Rat Friend - White rats are unhostile.
- Backstreet Butcher: Blast Resistant - Reduced damage from explosions.
- Backstreet Butcher: Fencer - Advantage in sword vs. sword combat.
- Backstreet Butcher: Fire Water - Increased explosion range for whisky bottles.
- Shadow Rat: Good Lungs - Increased underwater breath duration.
- Shadow Rat: Delicate Touch - Reduced noise for breaking glass.
- Shadow Rat: Voyeur - Magnification of sight when peeping through keyholes.
The Knife of Dunwall charms and effectsEdit
In The Knife of Dunwall DLC, some bone charms have been removed and all remaining bone charms that previously had two levels now have the upgraded effect right away. Some of the former DLC bone charms have been renamed and added, and a few entirely new bone charms also appear.
- Bird of Prey - Drop assassination gives Daud a bit of health.
- Hearty Crew - Summoned assassins deal more damage.
- Light as a Shadow - Take less damage from falls.
- Overpower - Very easily win contested interactions.
- Swift Stalker - If Daud's weapons are sheathed, his speed is boosted.
The Brigmore Witches charms and effectsEdit
These new bone charms appear in The Brigmore Witches DLC.
- Submariner: Regain health while submerged in water.
- Void Surge: Sometimes, when using a power, no mana will be spent.
|Vengeance||Build up adrenaline much faster||Adrenaline takes much less time to cool down|
|Power Slash||Daud deals greater damage with his sword||He swings his sword slower|
|Splintering Bolts||Bolts shot by wristbow do more damage||Bolts almost always break when shot at enemies|
|Shivering Silhouette||Enemies have a high chance to miss ranged attacks||Daud is more visible to enemies|
|Tank||Damage taken is reduced||Overall movement speed is reduced|
|Leverage||Pull power distance and speed are increased||Mana cost for pull power is increased|
|Statuesque||Daud will not be spotted by enemies while standing still, unless in combat||
Mana does not regenerate
|Witch's Skin||When taking damage, Daud's mana is drained before his health||Mana does not regenerate|
|Zephyr||Overall movement speed is increased||Damage taken is increased|
Locations in DishonoredEdit
|High Overseer Campbell||Distillery District||The bridge where guards are dumping bodies, on the other side of the metal gate. Swim to the back and climb up a chain to reach it.|
|Second floor of the building where Griff is imprisoned.|
|Dunwall Whiskey Distillery||On top of the wine cellar. Requires Corvo to jump/blink over the barrels to reach.|
|The Backyard||In warehouse A, access from above. This charm is always random before Corvo turns the vise to release it.|
|In a house near the river. Corvo will need to access from a window facing the river.|
|House of Pleasure||Distillery District||In the apartment where a weeper (high chaos) and an assassin reside. There are several ways to ascend the building, but all require jumping or blink.|
|In Granny Rags' new home, accessible from Bottle Street. The abandoned building also contains a door leading to the Golden Cat V.I.P. entrance.|
|In Captain's Chair Hotel under the stairs. The key to the hotel can be obtained from Slackjaw by finishing his first quest.|
|The Golden Cat||In the room directly above Madame Prudence's office. It can be accessed after taking the Golden Cat master key from the Madame. The charm is above the fireplace.|
|Dunwall Whiskey Distillery||In a room next to the entrance to the distillery. The key can be obtained inside the building in the room with a door that must be opened by a wheel. Several weepers will be in the room if Corvo contaminated the elixir still and will break out after he has spoken to Slackjaw.|
|The Royal Physician||Southern Bridgeway||In a room with a weeper. This room is beside a security station with a controllable metal bridge. Corvo will see it if he goes to collect the rune in this map. It is also connected to the side door near the exit.|
|Midrow Substation||After Corvo has passed the Wall of Light, enter the building on the left from above. The charm is at the bottom with a corpse.|
|North End||In the building on Corvo's left as he enters this area. The building itself can be accessed by blinking to the second floor. However, to reach the charm, Corvo must make his way upstairs by exiting the building and then climbing/blinking to an upper balcony, because the stairs are blocked.|
|Lady Boyle's Last Party||Hound Pits Pub||After Corvo returns to the Hound Pits Pub, Havelock gives him the option of going straight to bed or saying goodnight to Emily. After picking the second option, speak to Cecelia, and then retrieve the key to the Abandoned Apartment hidden under her bunk. The charm is under a bed inside the apartment.|
|Estate District||In a weeper-infested apartment with a rune and an Outsider shrine nearby. Note that this area has three weepers patrolling.|
|In a building very close to the Boyle Mansion. There is a door directly facing a window leading to the guardhouse. Corvo can also enter from the ground floor.|
|Return to the Tower||Exterior||In a tunnel in the waterlock, accessed by using blink (tier II). It is under a corpse.|
|Dunwall Tower||In Jessamine Kaldwin's secret room on the second floor. Opened by interacting with the unlit candle beside the fireplace.|
|The Flooded District||Rudshore Waterfront||In a house near the end of the street (leading to The Refinery). An assassin will occasionally be on top after Corvo has retrieved his gear.|
|The Greaves Refinery||Outside the building where Corvo's gear was dropped. Once he activates the stairs, go to the top of the staircase, and it will be under a collapsed walkway as he goes around.|
|Central Rudshore||At the far end of the main street on the ground, guarded by two wolfhounds.|
|In Daud's pouch. Either steal it or loot it from him. It is hidden from The Heart and does not "sing".|
|Gateway Tunnel||Immediately after Corvo enters the area, turn right. It will be surrounded by a swarm of rats.|
|Old Port District||In front of some wooden planks, there is a house illuminated by lanterns. Enter the house and find it behind the collapsed second floor.|
|In the sewers, in a room on the way to Granny Rags's lair. A letter and a book sitting beside a safe hint at the combination to said safe in which Corvo can find the charm.|
|After passing through the survivor settlement in the sewer, in a river krust infested area. Note that the survivors here will become weepers on high chaos.|
Locations in The Knife of DunwallEdit
|A Captain of Industry||Slaughterhouse Row||In one of the houses before the Slaughterhouse main gate. On the ground floor with some corpses.|
|In the sewer leading to one of the entrances into the Slaughterhouse. The entrance is close to the arc pylon in the Slaughterhouse courtyard, with the sewer gate switch next to said pylon.|
|Rothwild Slaughterhouse||On one of bath stalls in the washroom.|
|In the big room next to the killing floor hidden among the flesh of a dead whale.|
|In the safe in Rothwild's office; the combination is obtained from an injury report found in the accounting office.|
|Eminent Domain||Legal District Waterfront||In one of the highest rooms in this map, with a large sign under it. There is another room next to that building with a lone guard.|
|In the building next to the Hatter hideout, with the only entrance on the second floor. It is placed on top of an Outsider shrine.|
|Legal District||In the building to the right after entering the area, where Roland is imprisoned. The charm is on second floor.|
|To the right while facing the Timsh Estate across the road. There is a dead end on the bottom level.|
|In the basement of Timsh's estate, opposite to the air filtration vent.|
|The Surge||Daud's Hideout||On the of the dead end of a makeshift walkway, next to a dead Assassin.|
|In the training room where three Overseers are interrogating an Assassin.|
|Bottom level of the ruined building behind Daud's chamber.|
Locations in The Brigmore WitchesEdit
|Choosing Your Mark||Daud's Hideout||(Corrupted) In the chest at the foot of Daud's bed.|
|A Stay of Execution for Lizzy||Coldridge Prison||In the execution yard, under the platform.|
|At the corner of the yard, where a strange purple light is present.|
|(Corrupted) In the toilet of Cell A10 or D21. The door is initially locked.|
|The Dead Eels||Drapers Ward Streets||(Corrupted) On top of the entrance gate of the shopping center, facing the Millenary Canal.|
|Only available if the Rothwild Slaughterhouse was destroyed for Ames, and the associated favor is purchased. Found in Jerome's safe.|
|The Riverfront||(Corrupted) On top of the building past the first two thugs. A Brigmore Witch can be seen spying from the same roof until Daud approaches.|
|In the water, near a boat between the dock and the Undine.|
|Only available if the sunken cache favor was purchased. On the other side of the Undine as above. Two hagfish will be nearby.|
|The Mill||In the section to the right of the entrance in a battered cabinet.|
|Drapers Ward Sewer||(Corrupted) Underneath the room with the Delilah statue; break the plank to reveal a rat-infested area.|
|In the rubble of collapsed portion of the sewer. Wind and sunlight can be observed when approaching the area. If Daud has turned the water back on, the Bone Charm will be stuck in a drain farther down the sewer system.|
|Delilah's Masterwork||Exterior||(Corrupted) Close to the smuggling butler's letter and the only river krust along the shoreline; dive into the water to search.|
|(Corrupted) In a destroyed attic of the Brigmore Manor. This level is accessible either from the Garden Shed holding the lever, or the highest wooden platform on the front side of the Manor.|
|In the backyard, at the end of the cliff next to the pavilion with Delilah's statue inside. A Witch will appear when Daud is at a certain horizontal distance from the spot.|
|In the underground entrance through the crypt. Under the Delilah statue.|
|Brigmore Manor||(Corrupted) In the partially blocked corridor on second floor, with rubble fallen from third floor.|
|Third floor directly above the main entrance; accessible by blinking from the second floor.|
|In the room with the Overseer on the second floor.|
Equipment in Dishonored