|Nation of origin||Serkonos|
|First appearance||Returning Home|
|Role|| Assassin (Determinant) |
Lord Protector to the Empress
- "You'd have to be lucky [to escape Coldridge]. And a complete madman. You'd have to be Corvo, in other words."
- ―A prisoner discussing escape from Coldridge Prison
Corvo Attano is the protagonist of Dishonored. Previously an agent and bodyguard to Empress Jessamine Kaldwin, Corvo is stripped of his title of Lord Protector and imprisoned by the usurper, Royal Spymaster Hiram Burrows, on the pretense of having murdered the Empress and abducted her daughter, Emily Kaldwin. After escaping from confinement on the eve of his execution, Corvo becomes either an assassin or vigilante for the Loyalist Conspiracy, eliminating Burrows' confederates to clear his name, avenge the Empress' death, and restore Emily to the throne.
Born to a lower class family in Karnaca on the 25th day of the Month of Nets, 1798, Corvo originally hails from the island of Serkonos and is the first Royal Protector born outside of Gristol. At age 16 he won the Blade Verbena, an annual sword duel festival, which earned him an early officer ranking. After serving in Serkonos for two years, Corvo was "assigned to serve the Empress as a diplomatic gesture" after impressing the Duke of Serkonos, but the specifics of this assignment are unknown.
He was later chosen to serve as Royal Protector to Jessamine Kaldwin, granting him a higher social status. He is described as being mysterious and quiet, with Wallace Higgins and Treavor Pendleton claiming that despite his high social standing, those at court know little about him.
Corvo and Jessamine became lovers in 1823, a relationship which they kept secret. However, their closeness did not go unnoticed by the general public, and rumors to that effect circulated throughout Dunwall. While several people (including Lydia, Treavor Pendleton, and Anton Sokolov) mention the affair to Corvo, it is never publicly acknowledged.
Corvo has a strong bond with Emily and often interacts with her in a familiar and affectionate manner. For instance, she asks him to play hide-and-seek with her on his return to Dunwall, which he can oblige, and she notes that he was teaching her climbing and defensive techniques prior to his trip around the isles. Corvo will also occasionally hug Emily or hold her hand, further displaying their closeness. Farley Havelock speculates in his journal that Emily may be Corvo's daughter. Emily's behavior toward Corvo suggests that she sees him as a father figure, but any biological relation between the two is deliberately left ambiguous.
Following his escape from Coldridge Prison with the help of the Loyalists, Corvo readily joins their group. Whether Corvo's primary goal after rescuing Emily is to restore Dunwall or exact revenge is determined by player choice and style.
Equipment and skills
Corvo is legendary for his efficient combat skills and stealth capabilities, and many guards and citizens can be heard gossiping about him to that effect. Guards in the Dunwall Sewers can be overheard discussing his formidable skill, with a senior guard recounting an instance where he "...saw [Corvo] fight three to one in the practice yard." Havelock also considers the possibility that Corvo's talents might make him dangerous even to the Conspiracy.
After Corvo's first encounter with the Outsider, he is branded with the Outsider's Mark and subsequently able to utilize supernatural abilities. These compliment and augment his already present skills, allowing him to jump higher, move faster and farther, utilize additional stealth and offensive techniques, and so on.
- Corvo means "crow" or "raven" in both Italian and Portuguese.
- Corvo is the most recent of eight individuals granted powers by the Outsider.
- Corvo's true identity is largely unknown outside the Loyalist Conspiracy. The authorities do not realize that Corvo and the Masked Felon are the same man. However, Slackjaw hints that Corvo's true identity is known among the lower classes, saying, "Word is all over the street," when he is encountered in Granny Rags' lair.
- After escaping from Coldrige Prison, wanted posters for Corvo's capture or death can be found all around Dunwall, with a reward of 30,000 coins. Others will appear after completing specific missions and killing the targets, but will only designate his masked identity. If Corvo remained unnoticed throughout the mission, they will simply depict an unknown assailant, otherwise they will be for the "Masked Felon," with a sketch of Corvo wearing his mask and hood.
- Another poster for Corvo's capture can be found during the mission Eminent Domain of the downloadable content The Knife of Dunwall, where the prize for his capture was increased to 50,000 coins. It does not reappear in the next mission and DLC, The Brigmore Witches, as opposed to the first version with the 30,000 coins reward seen during The Dead Eels.
- When she was alive, Corvo and the Empress occasionally enjoyed whiskey and cigars together privately.
- Corvo was meant to receive an Official Naval Commendation for his efforts in seeking aid for the plague crisis, but it was confiscated after his arrest. It can be stolen and sold by Daud in The Brigmore Witches.
- After the mission The Royal Physician, Emily gives Corvo a drawing of him without his mask, with the word "Daddy" in large letters above it.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 Developer Commentary - Dishonored ages masterpost
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 Dishonored: The Dunwall Archives
- ↑ The Royal Protector
- ↑ Developer Commentary - Corvo's Youth
- ↑ Developer Commentary - Royal Protector
- ↑ Havelock's Log
- ↑ Developer Commentary - Marked Corvo
- ↑ Developer Commentary - Whiskey and Cigars
- ↑ Developer Commentary - Royal Protector's Naval Commendation
Characters in Dishonored
The Outsider • Jessamine Kaldwin • Emily Kaldwin • Anton Sokolov • Propaganda Officer • Granny Rags • Slackjaw • Geoff Curnow • Madame Prudence • Griff • Royal Interrogator • Esmond Roseburrow • Lonely Rat Boy
|Minor Characters (Male)||
Watch Officer Thorpe • Hackworth • Doctor Galvani • Boo • Sergeant Heyburn • Overseer Jasper • Overseer Sturgess • Berthold • Crowley • Dunstan • Bunting • Pratchett • Mad Survivor • Alec • Harold • Ramsey • Lord Brisby • Lord Shaw • Byron Alderdice • General Tobias • Overseer Franklin • Blake • Mace Brimsley • Captain Ren
|Minor Characters (Female)|