Devouring Swarm is a supernatural ability in Dishonored and Dishonored 2. It allows Corvo Attano to summon forth a swarm of ravenous rats that will attack any characters in the immediate area. Devouring Swarm consumes 40% of Corvo's total mana.
Tier I - (3 runes)
With Tier I Devouring Swarm, Corvo can summon a swarm of rats which attacks and eats foes.
Tier II - (4 runes)
With Tier II Devouring Swarm, the swarm is larger, allowing its attacks to do more damage and allowing it to eat foes faster.
|Devouring Swarm||4||None||Summon rats that attack enemies and devour bodies.|
|Greater Swarm||2||Devouring Swarm||Increase the size of your rat swarm.|
|Rat Piper||2||Devouring Swarm||Summon a rat swarm that follows you.|
|Twin Swarms||3||Devouring Swarm||Summon two smaller rat swarms.|
- Rats summoned by Corvo will not attack him.
- Devouring Swarm can be used to dispose of groups of enemies or corpses without Corvo having to reveal his presence.
- Devouring Swarm is particularly effective at distracting enemies in the middle of combat, permitting Corvo to kill or escape without much difficulty.
- Similarly, it can be used to lure multiple enemies to one spot by summoning a swarm near a large yet dispersed group of enemies. This can then be followed up by a grenade toss. If timed correctly, this can easily take out a large number of enemies simultaneously.
- Like standard, the summoned rats will not attack weepers and can be possessed by Corvo.
- All strategies and tips regarding regular rat possession are also valid here.
- When Granny Rags uses Devouring Swarm, she, unlike Corvo, seems to have a degree of control over the rats.
- Rats summoned by Corvo will not attack her - instead, she will thank Corvo for summoning more of her "little pretties".
- If Corvo has the Gutter Feast or Carrion Killer bone charms equipped, killing a summoned swarm is a good tactic for harvesting mana or adrenaline, respectively.
- The Albinos bone charm can make the mana side of this strategy more efficient.
- In Dishonored 2, equipping the Blood Sacrifice bone charm then summoning and killing a swarm of rats can restore lots of health. Equipping an upgraded Spiritual Sacrifice bone charm can give more mana than summoning the swarm takes.
- The above strategy involving Gutter Feast and Albinos also works in Dishonored 2.
- Without the Twins Swarms upgrade (Dishonored 2 only) Corvo cannot summon two rat swarms simultaneously. Attempting to summon a second swarm of rats will disperse the first.
- The Rat Piper upgrade does not mean Corvo's rats always follow him; they prioritize enemies and other targets, including both unconscious bodies and corpses.
Related Bone Charms
Void Walker's Arsenal
- Void Channel - Increased duration for the rat swarm.
- The Lonely Rat Boy has a version of this power. The only known difference is that the rats he summons can attack him.
- If Granny Rags is killed or knocked unconscious at any point, her body will disappear and summon a swarm of rats. The same is true for Paolo during the mission The Clockwork Mansion, and can also occur once during the mission The Dust District.
- In both cases, these rats will attempt to attack the protagonist, regardless of other characters who may be easier to access.
- In Paolo's case, all the rats will be albinos.
Devouring Swarm sound effect.
|The Knife of Dunwall|
|The Brigmore Witches|