- "Nothing else will grow if there are river krusts nearby."
- ―The Heart
River krusts are a type of mollusk seen in Dishonored, which are often found in humid environments, such as on the underside of piers. They are immobile, but can sense nearby activities and spit a caustic liquid toward those that they perceive as enemies. River krusts possess durable carapaces that protect their soft insides. These insides are only exposed during their attacks.
Corvo Attano can first encounter river krusts shortly before Kaldwin's Bridge during the mission The Royal Physician, or if he uses possession on a fish to get to the sewer under The Hound Pits Pub, at the end of the mission High Overseer Campbell.
- River krusts only attack Corvo if he is detected within a specific range. Getting out of that range will cause the river krust to close its shell again and become idle.
- The shell of river krusts protects them from melee attacks, but it cannot defend them against bullets and explosives.
- Krusts tend to gather in groups, called colonies, making them good potential targets for grenades; individual krusts are easy to kill with a well-aimed crossbow bolt or a bullet once their shell is open. Alternately a spring razor placed on or near a Krust's shell when it is closed will be set off the next time the Krust attempts to attack; if Corvo is able to provoke several river krusts at once, the springrazor will kill all of them.
- River krusts can be avoided by simply running or sneaking past them. However, killing them and looting their corpses often yields valuable river krust pearls, which can be sold for 25 to 50 coins depending on size.
- Killing river krusts does not generate chaos.
- River krust "spit" is extremely caustic, and even a single krust can kill Corvo quickly if caution is not taken.
- Corvo can possess river krusts, but cannot move or attack while doing so.
- To save ammo, Corvo can "kill" the river krusts by throwing carried objects like bottles directly to their insides once their shell is open.
- A book mentions that river krusts have both male and female reproductive systems, and that they are born from some kind of "slick" covering the shores.
- River krusts are suspected to be one of the main ingredients of both Piero's Spiritual Remedy and Sokolov's Elixir.
- Pearls produced by krusts are highly valued.
- The Heart mentions that some of the liquor from the Distillery District tastes like it was distilled from river krusts.
- If a dead river krust is hit with a sword enough times, it will open, displaying its insides.
- Detailed physiology of the creatures can be located in the home of Dr. Galvani.
- The Dead Eels bottle river krust acid and use it as a type of ranged weapon.
- One of Slackjaw's Bottle Street Gang members advises against eating river krusts, as "[...]they'll make you sick as a bucket."
- ↑ "Nothing else will grow if there are river krusts nearby."
- ↑ "They send orphan boys into the water to find pearls hidden in the krusts. Poor boys."
- ↑ "Only the very rich can afford a necklace of river pearls."
- ↑ "There is a strong drink made here. I tried it once. Distilled from river krusts by the taste of it."
Characters in Dishonored
The Outsider • Jessamine Kaldwin • Emily Kaldwin • Anton Sokolov • Propaganda Officer • Granny Rags • Slackjaw • Geoff Curnow • Madame Prudence • Griff • Royal Interrogator • Esmond Roseburrow • Lonely Rat Boy
|Minor Characters (Male)||
Watch Officer Thorpe • Hackworth • Doctor Galvani • Boo • Sergeant Heyburn • Overseer Jasper • Overseer Sturgess • Berthold • Crowley • Dunstan • Bunting • Pratchett • Mad Survivor • Alec • Harold • Ramsey • Lord Brisby • Lord Shaw • Byron Alderdice • General Tobias • Overseer Franklin • Blake • Mace Brimsley • Captain Ren
|Minor Characters (Female)|