[Excerpt from a volume on Serkonan geography and culture]
Serkonos, the jewel of the South, is best known for its warm winds, spiced foods and endless beaches. While the city of Cullero sees the heaviest flow of travelers from across the Isles, Karnaca, on the Southernmost edge of the known world, is preferered [sic] among the elite of the Empire. It is said that a month spent resting beneath the sun of the beaches of Serkonos, or within one of the rural villages, can cure most maladies. Travelers bring back recipes and styles from the South, and the dances that all Serkonans learn in their youth are favored in Gristol for their sensuality, copied by the fashionable aristocracy in the capital city of Dunwall.
The only persistent trouble in Serkonos originates along the string of tiny islands stretching away from the mainland to the East. For generations, pirates have hidden among this archipelago, raiding traders passing between the Isles and, more recently, attacking whaling ships returning with rich stores of oil.
- In Dishonored it can be found in the Boyle Mansion in the upstairs library. during the mission Lady Boyle's Last Party.
- In The Brigmore Witches it can be found on a desk against a wall in Daud's office during the mission Choosing Your Mark.
- In Dishonored 2, it can be found in the Addermire Station during the mission Edge of the World.
- The version of the book in the second game is a slightly different version to that in the first, as the copies in Dishonored and The Brigmore Witches do not have the line, while the copy in Dishonored 2 does not have the spelling error.
- Although this book refers to Serkonos as a whole as 'The Jewel of the South', this term in fact only refers to Karnaca.