- "…Arguments on the 'gentle nature' of the brutes… [are] refuted by seamen who return to shore, wide-eyed with tales of the whales' savagery."
- — The Leviathans' Sorrow
Described as "creatures of beauty and sadness", whales are supernatural animals, associated with natural wonder, spirituality, and aesthetics. They have many flippers running down their sides, large, sharp teeth, and barbels hanging from their maws. Whaling trawlers hunt them in great numbers for their oil, which is the main source of energy in Gristol, and their bones are also prized for the creation of runes and bone charms.
The Knife Of Dunwall DLC features a whale slaughterhouse with a live whale attached to life-sustaining device, so as to maximize its output of whale oil. If he so chooses, Daud can use one of Anton Sokolov's devices to end the whale's suffering.
- Piero Joplin claims to have read about "land-going whales deep in the Pandyssian interior".
- The whales of Dishonored share several characteristics with the Livyatan melvillei, an extinct species of ancient sperm whale, the most obvious similarities being the large crown of the head and shape of the jaws. The in-universe whale is also sometimes referred to as a "leviathan", which was the original scientific name of the L. melvillei.
- Various associations between whales and the Outsider exist.
- Many of the bone charms and runes used to channel his magic are made from the bones of whales.
- A book titled Spirit of the Deep even equates him to "a leviathan".
- The Void in which he resides also has a prominent frozen whale; additionally, the song a whale constantly emits throughout the dimension.
Characters in Dishonored
|Minor Characters (Male)||
Watch Officer Thorpe • Hackworth • Doctor Galvani • Boo • Sergeant Heyburn • Overseer Jasper • Overseer Sturgess • Berthold • Crowley • Dunstan • Bunting • Pratchett • Mad Survivor • Alec • Harold • Ramsey • Lord Brisby • Lord Shaw • Byron Alderdice • General Tobias • Overseer Franklin • Blake • Mace Brimsley • Captain Ren • Overseer Archer • Stu • Jelly • Craxton • Rodney • Earl • Grayson • Tom • Jeffrey • Overseer Gerard
|Minor Characters (Female)|
Characters in The Knife of Dunwall